Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The day we almost died

The "gems" on the mountains as C. Jane calls them.

The Saturday before school started was the day that The Thomas Mangelsen was coming to town. To Jackson. And even though we had just been there, Tom wanted to meet him or I guess at least see him.

On our way out the door Tom said, "We should pray." And I said, "We just prayed a second ago." And so the journey began...

On our street there was a girl pulling out from another apartment complex as we were driving by. I mean she didn't stop for us. So Tom had to swerve and honk and I had to give her the finger. I know, we're a good team. And then Tom said, "If we had prayed that wouldn't have happened. If we had been seconds behind, that car would have already pulled out." So we said a prayer of thanks.

And I didn't really give that girl the finger.

And of course since we live in Rexburg there were many more dangerous and crazy drivers around.

We stopped at a gas station roughly three fourths of the way there to use the restroom and there were tons of cars so we knew something was going on. The line to the women's one stalled restroom was wrapped around the doughnut counter and Tom had to wait for maybe 3 guys. As I was waiting I saw bikers coming in and trying to cut in front of little kids. Then we knew what the cars were around for. There was a race going on.  

As we were trying to make a left turn at the light to get out of that area, we almost ran someone over. No we didn't. But someone was crossing and got scared when Tom started turning and said, "Hey! Watch where you're going! A**hole!"

Almost the rest of the way to Jackson there were bikers taking over the road. It's like they were too cool for the bike lane. So annoying. Plus slow drivers that were yelling at the bikers encouraging them on. There is a picture at the bottom of this post of one of those slow drivers. So what usually takes 20 minutes took about an hour.


And then there was the volcano. We must have seen it right after it started because it was smaller and the smoke was not so spread out.

Then it became more. And we got to see the helicopters at work carrying water to and from the fire. It was a fire, not a volcano.
And here is the crazy Utard that sped passed us when we pulled over for an ambulance. Dumb.
We've had been having a lot of fires around here. I'm sorry I didn't take a picture of the bright red sun in the mornings that was positioned perfectly next to the temple as I drove up the hill. :( It rained and the smoke went away and there was no more red sun. The orange moon looked really cool too.

But anyway, Jackson was fun as usual. Tom was too scared to say anything to Tom but we did see the rich man of talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment